Milk production in our fair land is kind of a big deal. I don’t know about you, but I had very little idea about the numbers and percentages we as a county contribute to the dairy world. Did you know almost half of the US’s milk production is made into cheese? How cool is that??
- Milk Productions occurs in all 50 states, but 53% of the milk produced comes from only 5 states. Let’s give it up for California, Idaho, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and New York!
- There are over 51,481 licensed dairy farms and 9.2 million dairy cows in the United States. Roughly 95% of those dairy farms are family owned just like ours.
- Dairy farms in America produce 192.6 billion pounds of milk in a year.
- 43% of that milk is made into cheese (yay cheese!), while 21.6% is sold as fluid milk and the remaining 35.3% is made into other products like butter, dry milk, frozen products, etc.
- 1,278 dairy plants produced 199.4 billion pounds of dairy products. The average distance milk has to travel from the farm to a processing plant is 275 miles. Our milk travels a little over 9 miles to the Darigold plant in Lynden… whatever is left over from making cheese that is.
- 13.3% of dairy products are exported, while the average American spent about 6% of their food budget on dairy products for their homes. In a balanced diet, milk and dairy foods can supply 70% of the calcium and 18% of the protein a body needs to be healthy.